Have you already booked your trekking package to the mountains of Nepal and now you’re wondering about what equipment to bring? We are pleased to offer our checklist for a reference. You may have different needs or wants on your journey, so feel free to use this list as a guide, not a compulsory check. In case you forget any of the items on this list before leaving your home, don’t panic! Most trekking equipment and basic supplies can be purchased easily and cheaply in Kathmandu.
Remember to keep your luggage light for convenient travel. On treks, a porter is available (usually shared between two trekkers) to carry up to 25kg, so keep this in mind when packing your bags!
Below is the checklist of equipment you will need for your trek.
Duffel or rucksack bag: This is useful for storing non-trek items that you will leave behind in Kathmandu or at a hotel during your trek.
Day pack: For carrying water, snacks, clothing layers, and other essentials during your trek.
Down jacket: For warmth, these can also be easily purchased in Kathmandu.
4 seasons’ sleeping bag: To keep you warm on those cool Himalayan nights!
- Sun hat or scarf
- Light balaclava or warm fleece hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Thin, lightweight inner socks
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks
- Hiking boots with spare laces
- Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals)
- Gaiters for hiking in winter
- Lightweight gloves
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens
- Waterproof shell outer (Seasonal)
- Hiking shorts
- Lightweight cotton long pants
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms
- Fleece or wool pants (seasonal)
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops
- Fleece jacket or pullover
- Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (Optional)
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket
- Sleeping bag for four seasons
- Headlamp with spare bulbs and batteries
- Small combination lock or padlock
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Large plastic bags – for keeping items dry inside trekking bag
- Trekking Poles
- Reusable water bottles
- Toiletries (small wash towel, toilet paper etc)
- Tooth brush/paste
- Multipurpose soap
- Nail cutter
- Small mirror
- Wet wipes (baby wipes)
- Tissue /toilet roll
- Anti bacterial hands wash
- Reading book
- Trail Map/Guide book
- Journal & pen
- Pencils and small notebooks
- Travel game i.e., cards